Sunday, November 4, 2012

NaNo Write Mo' days 2 & 3

I didn't post yesterday, mostly because I don't feel quite right about filling my entire blog with posts about how much I've written during NaNoWriMo. Something tells me thirty posts of, "this is how much I wrote today" would get tiresome quickly. I'll keep my tally going, but I'm probably going to limit the number of posts where I just say how many words I've written.

Instead, I'm going to blog a bit about what I'm observing about my writing style. Yes, I'm a pantser. Even though I have an outline and I'm trying to stick with it, I'm having a hard time sticking to the plan. I finished two chapters that I'm pretty happy with and then went back and looked at my outline. Guess what--I made a huge mistake. I'm supposed to have someone escape in the second chapter. Instead, the person helps my protagonist and then runs away, and not to the place I intended for him to escape to initially. Oops.

On the plus side, that mistake makes it easier for me to leave my protagonist where she is and develop a secondary plot in the other setting with a character I love but didn't quite know what to do with.

My story is also turning into a conspiracy book, with tons of mysteries I really hope I'm not telegraphing to my readers.

On the minus side, I've had to scrap my outline pretty much from this point forward. Not that I mind--this is also, I suspect, a simpler story to tell, and that's going to be an advantage when it comes to actually finishing the darn thing. So, I'm going to spend this evening plotting again, at least the first few chapters, hoping this time I stay on the path I've plotted.

Maybe.

Day 2: 804 words
Day 3: 580 words

No comments:

Post a Comment